[SFRA-L] report on ICFA and a thot

Easterbrook, Neil n.easterbrook at tcu.edu
Mon Mar 21 11:36:54 EDT 2011

Gentles--

I've just returned from ICFA, where the gradually increasing quality of the conference--especially the now almost-total absence of papers that are boners (simply plot summery, comically misinformed, etc)--reminded me abt the upcoming SFRA conference in Lublin.

Last summer's conference in Carefree was smaller than average, but higher in quality than average. And combined with my observation of what's happening in the conferences of IAFA, and my recent experience as a judge for the SFRA Pioneer Award (where the committee read more than 150 refereed articles from our field), I'm encouraged to think that the conference in Lublin will be the strongest of them all.

Costs will be much higher, I agree, than a moco-frappo-chino at yr local, but I look forward to seeing you all in Lublin. Cost should always be understood in relation to value. I think it will be worth it.

--Neil