[SFRA-L] Octavia Butler and Zombies

Joan Slonczewski slonczewski at kenyon.edu
Fri Mar 18 17:38:41 EDT 2011

I was interested to read the thoughtful articles in Extrapolation on
Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis, by Jessie Stickgold-Sarah, and on the
Zombie Narrative, by Gerry Canavan. Both pieces aimed to explain what's
going on in these narratives of estrangement and salvation/annihilation.
In fact, together they show intriguing parallels; in each case, a
detestable race of "other" inexorably "erases" the familiar human;
through superior intellect (the Oankali) or despite zero intellect (the
zombie). Both themes tap fears deep within our fast-changing society.