[SFRA-L] Question for the Hive Mind

Sawyer, Andy A.P.Sawyer at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 12:03:58 EST 2011

I’ve not come across that stat and as has been said it sounds a bit woolly. For a start what does it mean by ‘adult sf’? I wouldn’t give a Neal Stephenson  or Peter F. Hamilton novel to a 10 year old without knowing them well (purely because the size of them would be so daunting!) yet there are certainly kids of 13 who would lap them up.

I remember from Farah’s book that over half of the respondents to her survey had read sf by 9, and 90% by 13, though I’m not sure what the breakdown of people who read sf for adults rather than sf for children is ; I would imagine that there would have been a crossover which itself would be significant for this statement.

I myself came across a great deal of sf published “for adults” in anthologies aimed at children when I was a young (under 12) reader. I also read a vast amount of sf in comics and story papers. But I wouldn’t want to map my experience on an 8 year old of today, who through all sorts of other media will have been exposed to more sf than ever I was.
--------------------------------
Andy Sawyer
Science Fiction Librarian
Special Collections and Archives
University of Liverpool Library
PO Box 123, Liverpool L69 3DA, UK.

Course Director, MA in Science Fiction Studies.
http://www.liv.ac.uk/english/ma_courses/post_ma_sf.htm

Reviews Editor: Foundation: The International Review of Science Fiction http://www.sf-foundation.org/publications/foundation.html

The Science Fiction Hub: http://www.sfhub.ac.uk/

The Science Fiction Foundation: http://www.sf-foundation.org/

"... there is no higher life form than a librarian."
THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD: Terry Pratchett, Jack Cohen, and Ian Stewart, p. 10.