[SFRA-L] cold equations

Edward James edward.james at ucd.ie
Fri Jan 21 04:49:26 EST 2011

There is a classic discussion of this very logical hole in the Godwin
story in John Huntington's wonderful book Rationalizing Genius, pp.
79-85. And there was a long debate about this very issue too in the
pages of the New York Review of Science Fiction: starting with Brian
Stableford's review of The Norton Anthology of Science Fiction in 62
(October 1993), and continuing with John Kessel in no. 64 (December
1993), in 66 (February 1994) (Taras Wolansky, Brian Stableford, David
Stewart Zink, Gordon Van Gelder), in 68 (April 1994) (Sherry
Coldsmith, Darrell Schweitzer, Catherine Mintz, Donald G. Keller), in
69 (May 1994) (John Kessel again), in 71 (July 1994) (Sam Moskowitz)
and in 72 (August 1994) (Mark W. Tiedmann). It's a very instruction
debate!

Edward

Professor Edward James
Head of School